Gopal's Bookshelf

“The love of books is a love which requires neither justification, apology, nor defense.” - J.A. Langford

Sunday, February 7, 2016

My Review:: Secret Sanction by Brian Haig

Secret Sanction (Sean Drummond, #1)Secret Sanction by Brian Haig
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sean Drummond is a wise ass. I picked up the first book in the Sean Drummond series on a lark. I was interested in reading something different than the usual action/adventure thriller for a change.

Legal stories have always interested me and A Time to Kill by John Grisham remains my favorite. The book was a very easy read. The humor in the book is a combination of situational, sarcastic and even personality based. But the book was very well written. It had the right amount of bluster, investigation and tying up of loose ends to make it an engaging read.

Even though the book is based on the Serbian War, the situation can be easily adapted to fit into today's world. Sean Drummond's story is also told by the author in drips, a fact here, an anecdote there... overall it brings a lot of insight into a Combat Major turned into a JAG lawyer - a very elite and special breed.

The politics of the army, the pressure from the government and the overall situation on the ground with the fringe players like NSA, the White House and the Army Corps bringing extra pressure to play into the investigation of an entire Army unit gone rogue is a story that has been told before, but the story telling in this one is absolutely the best.

I have already picked up the next book in the series to read. I recommend this to the fans of legal thrillers, especially military law thrillers. There is very few of those written and this one is at the top of the list.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At February 8, 2016 at 6:42 AM , Blogger Christine said...

    Interesting review and book, Gopal. Never head of this series.

     
  • At February 14, 2016 at 6:43 PM , Blogger G said...

    I have been wanting to cut my teeth on a legal thriller for quite some time now. A Time to Kill by John Grisham was my first foray into legal novel and the ending scene before the courthouse still gives me goosebumps when I think about it.

    This one is a good series to get into. Freda will agree with me here, the prose flows and the situations do not look contrived. It also deals with some very uncomfortable topics in military like Gays in the rank. I really love the characters in the books, Sean Drummond and Imelda Pepperfield standout heads and shoulders above the rest.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home